Safety is No Accident. Visit the National Safety Commission - America's Safety Headquarters for driver safety information, auto recalls and teen safe driver tips.
Thursday, March 03, 2011
Florida Spring Break Safety
FHP, the Florida Highway Patrol has issued some safety tips when it comes to spring break safety. The focus, as with all spring breaks before it, is to help drivers prevent themselves from driving impaired. The FHP makes it absolutely clear though: they are not against having fun or spring breaks --- they only plead that drivers be sober and safe when on the road.
- Plan ahead. Always designate a sober driver before any drinking begins, or take a taxi or public transportation if you plan to drink alcohol. A taxi or bus ride is much cheaper than a DUI citation.
- Take the keys. Do not let a friend drive impaired.
- Heed the warning labels on prescription medicine bottles because even legal drugs can affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Dial *FHP (*347) on your cell phone to report an impaired driver.
- Drivers under the age of 21 caught with a blood alcohol level of .02 or higher will have their licenses suspended for a period of 6 months. A second offense results in license suspension for 12 months.
- The first offense for refusing to submit to testing automatically results in a license suspension for a period of 12 months, while a second offense results in an 18-month suspension.
Like most states, Florida only hopes that drivers take care of themselves not only for their own safety, but also for the people around them. Spring break is a great time to be out and about, but what's even better is doing it safely.
Additional Spring Break Pedestrian Safety Tips